Hot Cross Buns
Hot Cross Buns
Fluffy, perfectly spiced homemade Hot Cross Buns!
Author: Jessica Cain Montano
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Rising: 2 hrs
Total: 2 hrs 45 mins
4.8 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 3 teaspoons instant or rapid rise yeast
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk, warm , full fat
- 4 1/4 cups bread flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp All Spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 - 2 oranges, zest only
- 3.5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg , at room temperature
EXTRA FLOUR FOR DOUGH
- 1/4 cup Extra bread flour
- 1/2 cup flour (any white flour)
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tsp water
Place flour, yeast, sugar, all spice, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Briefly mix with stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
Add butter, milk, egg, chocolate chips, and zest.
- Standmixer: Mix until a smooth elastic dough forms - 5 minutes on Speed 2 of standmixer. After 1 minute, add extra flour if required, just enough so dough comes away from side of bowl when mixing and doesn't stick terribly to your fingers.
Hand kneading: Alternatively, dust a work surface with flour and knead by hand for 10 minutes.
Dough is kneaded enough when it's smooth and does not break when stretched.
- Leave dough in the bowl, cover with cling wrap and place in a warm, wind free place to rise until doubled in size. This will take anywhere between 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours depending on how warm it is.
Partway through preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9 x 13" tray with baking paper with overhang.
- Remove cling wrap and punch dough to deflate.
Dust work surface with flour, place dough on work surface, shape into a log - this will deflate the air. Cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Take one piece and press down with palm, then use your fingers to gather into a ball, then roll the dough briefly to form a ball.
- Place the ball with the smooth side up on the tray. Repeat with remaining dough. Line them up 3 x 4.
- Mix flour and water until a thick runny paste forms.
- Spoon into a piping bag then snip corner.
Remove the cling wrap and pipe crosses onto the buns. Go slow so it hugs the curves.
- Bake for 22 minutes, or until the surface is a deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place jam and water in a bowl, microwave for 30 seconds. Mix to combine.
- Remove buns from oven. Use overhang to lift buns onto a cooling rack.
Brush with jam mixture while warm. Allow to cool to warm before serving.
STORING / MAKE AHEAD:
- Make today, bake tomorrow - Do Rise then follow steps to form the balls per the recipe and place in tray in the fridge instead. Leave overnight. Then remove from fridge and put it in a very warm place. Once the fridge chill is gone and the dough is back at room temperature, it will then start to rise. It takes 2.5 - 3.5 hrs to rise after taking it out of the fridge.
- Best served on day it's baked!
- For the day after, reheating makes all the difference to make them soft and moist again - 10 sec in the microwave! These freeze great, then just defrost. To reheat batches, pop them on a tray and cover with foil, then reheat at 320F for about 8 minutes.